Friday, March 28, 2014

Raman is not just salty pasta. What is Raman Spectroscopy?

This video from Mustard Tree TV describes what Raman spectroscopy is and some basics of how it works.We use Raman spectroscopy to determine what compounds are in our samples. For our material system, it is actually more effective at distinguishing the compounds than x-ray diffraction. I am currently making a high-temperature stage to allow me to measure the Raman scattering at high temperatures in different environments. This should tell me how stable my films (thin layers of my material, CZTS) are at different temperatures and in different environments. Raman spectroscopy is also very sensitive to the sample surface and doesn't destroy the sample. Raman spectroscopy is a really cool technique!

No comments:

Post a Comment