Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Meet the Researchers: Elizabeth "Lisa" Pogue

Have you ever wanted to talk to and meet a scientist? We wanted to introduce ourselves to our readers. Please ask us questions/share ideas using the form on the left side of the homepage.

Today you get to learn about me, which is sort of odd, since I am interviewing myself. Even researchers sometimes talk to themselves. Bear with me.


  • What is your name?
    • Elizabeth Pogue. Call me Lisa.
  • Describe your research.
    • I design and run experiments to better understand a material called CZTSSe. This material is being considered for use in solar cells. I use a variety of microscopes and other instruments to observe and study samples of this material to better understand when and how it is stable.
  • How did you get interested in what you are researching and science, in general?
    • I first started enjoying science when I attended a summer day camp as a kid (Camp Invention). I really enjoyed taking things apart, learning how they worked, and learning about materials. Up until that point, I was only exposed to biology and ecology in science classes at school (many people, including my parents, love biology and ecology, but I knew that they weren't for me--always give things a chance, but always pursue your passions). I had not yet been exposed to physics or chemistry. I knew that I loved math, especially when it was applied to real-world problems. That camp and several teachers that I had later really got me excited about science (especially physics or chemistry). I became interested in energy technologies after reading some articles in Scientific American magazine. It blew my mind that materials could convert sunlight into usable energy and opened my eyes to some of the stresses on the environment.
  • How did you get to where you are today?
    • I worked really hard in school. I graduated from a public high school and then attended Cornell University for my undergraduate degree. I always tried to push to learn more.
  • What hobbies do you have?
    • I enjoy hiking, biking, rock climbing, and playing my saxophones. I also enjoy reading and debating public policy. I am also a frustrated Cleveland baseball fan. Unfortunately, I now don't have enough time to frequently pursue all these hobbies, but it is good to have diverse interests.
  • Do you have any funny stories from when you were a young scientist?
    • I hated cleaning up my toys as a kid and designed several devices to pick up and sort my toys by size. Unfortunately, parents would not let me try any of these out on the carpet.
  • What were some of your favorite activities as a kid?
    • I played a lot of basketball and softball. I also loved to ski and loved reading books of all different genres (non-fiction science, science fiction, classics, history, policy, strategy). I played piano. I played and still play the saxophone (alto and recently also tenor).
  • Do you have any advice for the next generation?
    • Live long and prosper? Seriously, though, be yourself and follow your interests. Don't be afraid of people or their opinions. Always seek to learn and do more and ignore it when people put you down or try to distract you from the things you find important/meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment